6 cups (1 kilogram) flour
2 tablespoons yeast
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup orange juice
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
2 sticks butter or margarine
3 egg yolks
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup oil (not olive oil)
Egg wash topping before baking:
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons water
1 spoonful honey
2 cups water
1½ cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. In a stand mixer using the dough hook, mix all the dough ingredients together for about 10 minutes. Cover for 45 minutes.
2. Make the filling. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients.
3. Preheat the oven to about 340°F or 170°C.
4. Divide the dough in two and roll each into a thin rectangle.
5. Spread the chocolate filling over one half of each rectangle, then fold the dough over itself toward you into a long rectangle. Roll gently again and keep the shape of a rectangle.
6. Cut into triangles. Start at the wide edge of the triangle and roll the dough up toward the point to the shape of a croissant/rugelach.
7. Transfer to a pan lined with parchment paper. Give the rugelach space, as they will “grow” while baking. Brush the rugelach with the egg wash, then let rise for about 15 minutes before placing in the oven.
8. Bake for 20-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. In the meantime, prepare the sugar syrup by adding all ingredients to a saucepan. Cook until boiling for about 5 minutes.
10. When the rugelach are out of the oven, brush them with the warm syrup and let cool at room temperature.